Jiyu Kumite

After going back to practicing karate for two months, I decided to do something terrifying. Something I despised as a child: KARATE TOURNAMENTS!







The thing is, tournaments are scary! Everybody has opponents they don’t like facing for fear of getting their ass whopped! I'm thinking the more I do it, the more I will get used to facing and controlling this fear which is basically what karate teaches you. Karate instills ethical principles and can have spiritual significance. It is also practiced for self-perfection, for cultural reasons, self-defense and as a sport (side note: In 2009, in the 121th International Olympic Committee voting, karate did not receive the necessary two-thirds majority vote to become an Olympic sport (see: IOC factsheet). That would be amazing to watch! Also, did you know there are 50 million karate practitioners worldwide?)

The type of tournament I'm taking part of is called Jiyu Kumite which tranlates to "free sparring", unchoreographed free fighting. Here is a video of  the Shotokan Karate of America (SKA) tournament that occured last June in California.


The tournament will be in Memphis, TN April 12-14th. Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. That is so cool Jen!! The video didn't load on my iPhone, so I'll h e to check it out next time I'm at the computer. But good for you for trying sometime new and facing your fear. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where Do All Roads Lead To?

The Runners

Water Bodies